Friday, June 11, 2010

The Gypsy Heart is Sated; the Farmer Feet Elated

Returning to work after a vacation is such an odd experience. The everyday tasks are the same and are basically performed by rote. But my brain is different - I’m a different person on the inside. The interesting thing is, nobody can see that on the outside. Harry is going to New Mexico sometime in the next couple of months to attend SOFA West and Art Santa Fe, as well as the opening of Bullseye Glass’s new gallery/studio in Santa Fe, the Bullseye Connection. I feel certain that after he experiences all the area has to offer, Harry will want to live in New Mexico. And when (not if) Harry does want to move, I will be ready.

This is the last day of my first week back at the office, and already New Mexico seems like a beautiful dream. When I go outside, the humidity and heat weigh me down, wrapping me in a suffocating damp blanket, in contrast to the dry, sharp heat of the sunshine and instant coolness of the shade found in the Southwest. My nose searches for the scent of Russian Olives among the fragrance of local flowers and is disappointed. But, still, I find myself looking forward to the weekend and simple, mundane things. This weekend, I’m going to set up the pool. And make egg salad. Maybe lemonade, too.

At any rate, the Gypsy Heart is happy now (for the time being), and the Farmer Feet are elated to be back home. It continues to surprise me how large a part of my brain was occupied with the trip and preparations. Things that were just too overwhelming to think about beforehand are easily accomplished now.

I also learned valuable lessons on this trip.
Here are a few of the crash mini-courses:

“Adaptation - It’s Never Really “My Way or the Highway.” Although I’ll admit to being rusty, it seems I can still adapt when things go really wonky.

“The Complicated Art of Wayfaring.” I used to be much better at finding my way. I don’t know if I’m just out of practice, or if this is a skill I’ve lost over the years, but I’m willing to work on it. Practice makes perfect, after all. Or I suppose I could always get a GPS. . .

“Death on Four Legs.” The prospect of the death of a furchild bothers me more than I thought it would. Even if you’ve been expecting the death for a very long time, there is much more involved than just figuring out what to do with the body.

“Traveling Sans Dogs.” It isn’t necessarily a bad thing. In fact, it can be extremely liberating.

“The RV Way of Life - Is it For You?” I prefer much more solitude than an RV park has to offer. Plus, Star hated the RV. That doesn’t mean the Airstream Dream has died - far from it. Since I’m fairly certain it was the noise inside the RV that bothered Star, she would probably be just fine in a truck pulling a trailer; and I think going to RV parks either before or after the “busy season” would work just fine for me and mine.

“Silver Lining Vision - How to Get The Most Out of It.” Sure, the vacation didn’t go as planned, but all in all, it worked out great: I went RV camping with Harry; gleaned valuable information and insights into the RV lifestyle; was able to visit friends without the dogs (and in that way enjoy spending time with them without the anxiety that always accompanies bringing along furry family members); took two vacations in the span of one; and didn’t spend as much money as I would have, among other bright spots.

All of these were valuable lessons - and all were valuable life experiences. And isn’t that what vacations are all about?

I’m not sure how many more blog entries there will be here until the next trip. I can guarantee you, however, that there will be a next trip, and when there is, I will bring you with me!

Until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment