Sunday, September 26, 2010

From Baton Rouge to Shreveport



As I pulled out of the parking lot of the East Baton Rouge Animal Control Center, I wondered if I should have taken JoLee for a little walk before starting out. I looked into the rear view mirror to see him sleepily gnawing on the rawhide I brought him, and figured he was doing fine.



I followed my Google directions, which took me to a busy intersection where I was to turn left, and then make a right onto the highway that would take me to Shreveport, where my friend Jolie lives.

JoLee did really well in the car. He did have a couple of pee accidents, but I knew that would happen, and I kept an eye on him in my rear-view mirror. As I’d hoped, he slept most of the time, some of it on his back, with his little round speckled puppy tummy in the air. It was all I could do to keep driving and not stop to play with him, and pet him, to reassure myself that he was mine.



Finding Jolie’s place was easy, mostly due to her detailed directions. As I turned into the drive, I marveled at the beauty around me. Huge trees loomed overhead, making a sort of leafy cathedral. A large log cabin appeared on the left, and a fenced-in area with familiar looking kennels, each with a wagging tail, appeared on the right. This was definitely the right place. As I crunched to a stop, Jolie appeared, coming from the house. “Great directions!” I told her, as I gave her a hug. Then she got to meet JoLee. I didn't even bring my camera in, but Jolie took lots of pictures.

I’m not sure how long we stayed - all I know is that it wasn’t long enough. I did get to meet Jim, Chesley and all of the dogs, though, and I’m sure you’ve seen the pictures Jolie took - all of them great. I have one on my desk - the one of him looking up at her, with me grinning like a goofball in the background. Every time I look at it I smile, thinking of that day, and of Jolie. I’m so thankful for the Internet. Without it (and Dogster and Facebook), my life would most certainly be less!

No comments:

Post a Comment