Sunday, September 26, 2010

From Hurst to Home


JoLee and I hit the road again, this time headed for Hurst, Texas. My sister, Pam anxiously awaited our arrival with her two furchildren, Sergei and Dani. She had even gone so far as to buy a soft muzzle for Sergei, who hates puppies and will lunge at them, attempt to bite them and roll them at the dog park.

The trip itself was uneventful, and Pam met us at a landmark Chinese restaurant so I wouldn’t have troubles making my way to her apartment in the dark.

Sergei hated JoLee. JoLee was entirely unaffected by his hatred, which must have frustrated him to no end, as he lunged and attempted to bite JoLee over and over again. The soft muzzle was a hit with Pam and me, anyway!

JoLee slept with me on Pam’s couch that night - our first night together. He did very well, and had no “accidents” in the apartment. The next morning, after an Egg McMuffin, we were on our way home, to Nebraska.

From Hurst to Home

Once again, the traveling was smooth. Good thing - I found it hard to concentrate, what with having the rear-view mirror trained on JoLee so I could watch him play and sleep. About three-quarters of the way home, he discovered the “squeaky ball.” Pam was laughing as I tried to talk to her over the noise. She reminded me of the scene in “Practical Magic” where Sandra Bullock had a hangover and one of her daughters was playing a kazoo incessantly. She said, “Can I see that a minute?” And when her daughter handed it over, she threw it out the window. We both had a good laugh over that - Pam said she could just imagine me doing that very thing.

We rolled into the driveway at about 10:00 that night. Harry was asleep in his chair in front of the TV, but Star and Tim greeted me at the door. I had just enough time to get JoLee’s harness on him before Harry came down the stairs to meet him. Then, while Harry held JoLee’s leash, I went into the house and loved on my other pups, and then we all went for our first walk.

Things around our house will never be the same - and that is a good thing. JoLee is growing fast. His coat is as soft as down, and his tummy is now covered with freckles. Each and every day we wonder what he’s going to grow into; how big he’ll be, if more spots will appear in his coat - but each and every day, I’m glad I made the long drive to Baton Rouge to adopt him.

No comments:

Post a Comment