Monday, March 7, 2011

Future Tripping

“Future Tripping,” if not coined by my sister, is a term that she first introduced me to. I think, in Pam’s vernacular, the definition of Future Tripping is “worrying about something before it has even happened,” but since I adopted it, I’ve kind of adapted the definition to fit me: for me, Future Tripping is “vacation planning.”

I’ve been Future Tripping a lot lately - it's a good pastime for these long winter nights where prying myself away from the fireplace takes herculean strength, or the grey days when the snow falls or the rain drips. So far, I’ve planned two small trips over long weekends.

The first trip, at the end of April, is to Chadron, Nebraska, the location of the Nebraska National Forest, 20,000 acres of which was hand-planted in 1902 as a timber reserve. Here's a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebraska_National_Forest

A heated cabin seemed wise, just in case Spring has not yet arrived by the last weekend of April. Better safe than sorry, I figure. That should be just before the Tick and Tornado seasons. Last year, when the California trip was derailed, Chadron was where Harry and I decided to take the RV. It ended up being Winnie’s final camping trip. It’s a beautiful, forested area - just wild enough to make you think you’re camping, but tame enough that you don’t have to worry about bears making themselves at home with your porridge. An added benefit is it’s within a day’s drive of home.

The second little trip is to Waxahachie, Texas, over Memorial Day weekend. Pam and I are going to attend the Scarborough Renaissance Festival. Our family used to go to the Colorado Renaissance Fair in Larkspur, Colorado. If I’m not mistaken, I think we started going to it in its second year of existence, and watched its burgeoning growth, until now, from what I gather, it’s a pretty big deal. We drove the back roads to get there - it was a beautiful ride (with the added benefit of avoiding all the rest of the traffic and sneaking in to the parking area from the back side). I still have some great memories and photographs of Mom and Dad sitting on hay bales, and a great shot of Pam gnawing on a turkey leg.

I’m pretty sure this Fair will be different from the one in Larkspur. For one thing, from the look of the map on the website, it appears to be much bigger. It’s also likely to be much warmer and more humid, located, as it is, near Dallas. If you want to take a look, here’s a link: http://www.srfestival.com

I don’t even remember the last time I went to a Renaissance festival - and I have to say, I’m pretty excited about it. I love the whole feeling: being outdoors, the artisans and their booths, and the live entertainment. (It’s kind of fun to watch my sister gnaw on a turkey leg, too!)

For now, that's all I have planned. If I pack my traveling season full, I won't be able to take advantage of opportunities that just kind of present themselves. Plus, there are all kinds of things I want to do around the house this summer. Woodworking projects, hanging out in the pool, gardening - all the things that make being home a wonderful thing. Hm... It almost sounds like the Farmer Feet are winning out over the Gypsy Heart this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment