Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Mindful of BSL


I know this entry might ruffle a few feathers - or maybe even raise a few hackles, as it were. Breed Specific Legislation is truly a hot button when you move in the circles I do. But the fact is, I really don’t like worrying about traveling through cities that have enacted BSL and I don't like being banned from specific RV parks because I own a LabraPit.

In truth, I never set out to own a pit bull. I’ve always been an advocate of adopting shelter dogs and have always been very active in supporting our local humane society. I’d never really ever met a pit bull, but even though I prided myself on keeping an open mind and told every person I met that I had no prejudice against any breed, I realized only after I adopted Star that all along I had viewed pit bulls and pit bull mixes as trouble. Someone else’s trouble. I recognize now that back then ("BS" - Before Star), I would just pass by any kennel that held a pittie or pit mix.

On the fateful day I became a pit mix owner, I was at the shelter delivering shoe boxes for the kitties, and (of course) I took a walk through the kennels. And there she was. All alone - the last of her litter. It was plain to see she was depressed. While all the other dogs were voicing their various opinions, Star had nothing left to say. She didn’t even raise her head when I knelt and talked to her. At that point, something changed, and I no longer saw her as a liability - she was a sad, lonely puppy who needed a loving home. Nothing more and nothing less. And so Star came to live with the rest of our pack.

I haven’t been banned from anywhere yet, nor has my insurance company informed me that they’re dropping my coverage because I own a "dangerous" breed. I’m always quick to point out that Star has her Canine Good Citizenship Award, and is certified to do Pet Therapy in nursing homes and hospitals (as are Tim and Winnie). And, just to be safe, I always call Star a "Lab Mix." In fact, when Animal Control first sent me her registration papers, I asked that they change her breed from "Pit Mix" to "Lab Mix." You know, just in case the City of Lincoln ever decides to enact BSL.

Star could help things if she would just look relaxed and happy. From most angles, her head is definitely shaped like a Labrador’s. But at just the right angle - just so - her Pit Bull heritage is plain. Honestly, I think it is physically impossible for Star’s face to ever get a doggy grin on it. Her flews, her eyes - nothing about Star’s face can look anything but serious. Not threatening or particularly unhappy - just serious. Star looks serious with ropes of drool hanging from her face when she’s begging for treats. She looks serious when she’s stealing Tim’s toys. She even looks serious while her tail is wagging her whole body when I come in the front door. And she looks serious when she’s rolling around on her back in the grass (well, actually, I can’t see her face when she’s rolling in grass - maybe she looks happy then). I can’t help but smile when I look over and she’s sitting in the passenger seat, looking straight ahead while I drive. The perfect, serious copilot.

But, to get to the point, one of the cities I’m driving through is Denver, Colorado. I read very sad stories about Denver’s enactment of BSL. Authorities went from house to house and confiscated family pets - dogs who had never done anything wrong - and these loving family pets were euthanized, just because they happened to be pit bulls. And I do worry - if I want to walk Star in a park, will I be ticketed? Do I need to hide in the shadows, or race from the shelter of one tree to the next? If I am seen walking Star, could she be confiscated, whisked away to be euthanized because I had the audacity to bring her with me?

I know, it sounds a bit melodramatic.

But I think about it, just the same.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think you're being melodramatic at all, I've heard of that very thing happening, a dog being taken out of someone's car. I'd be very careful while in Denver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking I'll just motor on through....

    ReplyDelete