Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Next Step: Planning the Route


Okay, so the next thing to do was sit down with a map and my computer to figure mileage and what there was along the way that looked interesting.

As I thumbed through my well-loved, dog-eared, battered atlas, a sudden realization came to mind:

This trip is mine.

I can do whatever I want and go see whatever I want to see.
The only schedule will be my schedule.
I can eat what (and when) I want to eat, when (and if) I want to eat.
I can stop where I want to stop and for as long as I want to.
I can take a hike in the middle of the day if I see an interesting lake or state park;
Or
I can just pull over and take a nap if I get sleepy.
The choice will be mine.

Just the thought of all that freedom went straight to my head. How intoxicating!

Then I heard my father’s voice in my head, intoning one of his famous Dad-isms: “With freedom comes responsibility.”

I will be responsible for everything on this trip: how long I want to drive each day (keeping in mind that there will be nobody to take over driving when I get tired); what food I’m going to take and all the utensils I will need to prepare that food; finding places to stay; taking care of the RV (including any emergencies that could arise); and the riding and sleeping arrangements for the dogs and all of their needs.

You'd think that might dampen the spirit just a bit, wouldn't you? But by this time, I was grinning from ear to ear. It’s a list-maker’s dream come true! (Good thing I’m a dyed-in-the-wool, hardcore list maker).

I have a general overview map of my route all ready for this post, but I can't get Blogger to upload it. I'll continue trying to upload it, I promise. When you do get to see the map, keep in mind that this is kind of a rough draft. The first part is pretty well set, but if the Kanab area is really hot and dry, we may not stay more than one night. We might stop in the mountains somewhere on the way back, or even in Denver to see a few folks.

Know what the best part of this wonderful, nebulous plan is?
The choice will be mine!

1 comment: