Sunday, May 30, 2010

Adventures on the Road

Well, I have to say, my Gypsy Heart should have her fill of traveling by the end of this trip. We made it to Raton (dragging our Farmer Feet along) in record time (which is probably why that nice State Trooper pulled me over in Rocky Ford). I was so flummoxed by that incident that I got lost, and drove around in a big circle. When I realized I was exhibiting the kind of behavior vultures look for, I pulled over and called Harry.

“Hi, honey. I’m lost.”

“Oh, really? Where are you?”

“Well, if I knew that, I wouldn’t be lost.”

After I explained my situation, Harry pulled out his Colorado map (the State Trooper told me my map was no good - it isn’t detailed enough) and we figured out that I had made one wrong turn. That’s all it takes. He talked me through my directional problem, and I was back on track again.

I got lost again in Raton. Sometimes these Google directions are just too darned detailed. I was looking for a road that in actuality I would never need to drive on. This time I didn’t wait until I drove in a circle; as soon as it looked like I was headed out of town, I called Aaron and Kristy. Aaron stayed on the phone with me and shepherded me right to their front door.

Thank heavens for cell phones. I’ve been resisting purchasing a GPS, but I may have to rethink it, if my Gypsy Heart has her way.

Raton, New Mexico

I’m just stopping overnight for now, but I’m coming back to spend a little more time in this little beauty of a town. Raton is bigger than I thought it would be, and my heavens, it seems as though every person who lives here has a dog. Big dogs, little dogs, all kinds of dogs.

Did you ever wonder what dogs are actually saying to each other in their night-time canine choruses? It has to be more than just vocalization. Last night, long into the night, there were times when the big dogs were barking, but then there were times when one of the little dogs would start, and a little dog chorus would rise into the evening sky. And then there was the time when the little dog chorus started, and then the big dog chorus joined in.

Raton’s weather reminds me a lot of Colorado, where I grew up. Warm during the day, but very cool at night. It is nestled in the mountains, and the hillsides are teeming with wildlife. Humans and animals co-exist here. On our walk last night, in more than one front yard, the impossibly huge ears of mule deer swivelled as we walked by, keeping close track of us. Hummingbirds zipped by constantly. I heard tales of bears who wander through the town at night, using the town dumpsters as their smorgasbords. I can’t wait to go hiking. Kristy and Aaron have several places in mind. I’ll post pictures then.

But first, it’s off to Albuquerque!

No comments:

Post a Comment