Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Down to the Wire

Only two days until departure! I’m pretty well set to go. Tonight I packed my clothes, made cinnamon rolls and red beans & rice for Harry, and gathered a collection of traveling music of my own.

Tomorrow’s schedule is a bit more hectic. I have to pick up Tim’s prescriptions, canned food from SitStay.com and do my grocery shopping. Winnie has her appointment with Dr. Eddings at 6:15 tomorrow night. I’m so glad she was able to stick it out until tomorrow - the steroid injections should make her much more comfortable during the trip. Not that she’s going to be suffering, mind you. The way I’m imagining things, she’ll be comfortably ensconced on the air bed the whole way, lounging about in comfort, looking out the window as the scenery goes by. I’ll bring lots of her dog beds, too, just in case she’s more comfy on the floor, but I’m betting she’ll end up on the air bed. My little Princess. (Grin)

And then we come to Friday. The night I pick up the RV. The way I have everything laid out, it should take me no longer than an hour or so to pack the RV, and then I’ll be able to relax and watch a movie with Harry before turning in for the night. It will be interesting to look at this entry after the fact and see how it all turns out - best laid plans and all.

A wonderful thing happened to me today! First, you should know, in all the time I’ve worked for the Boss Man, I’ve never been gone two whole weeks. Harry can’t leave the shop for that long (which is part of why I’m taking this trip on my own, after all). So, suffice it to say that the Boss Man has been a bit stressed out. It’s not like we don’t have excellent personnel who fill in when someone’s gone - no, that’s not it at all. They just aren’t me. I know all the Boss Man’s quirks, where he left things, how to find what he’s lost, and I’m one of the few people in the Firm who can read his handwriting (I think of it as “job security"). He’s getting ready to go on a little four-day weekend trip of his own, something he does fairly frequently with three or four other couples. He called me into his office, told me about a couple of things he wanted me to do for him, and then handed me a check, saying, “Here. I won’t be here when you leave, so I wanted to give you something to take with you. Have fun and be safe.” I was struck dumb (speechless, if you want to be nice). I looked at him, my mouth gaping open and closed like a fish out of water, and he said, “I know. I’m ‘da man.”

What a great guy. I hope he has as much fun on his trip as I’m going to have on mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment