Sunday, May 23, 2010

Windmill SRA and Beyond


Tonight we’re at Windmill State Recreation Area, a small, emerald jewel of a park close to the I-80 corridor.

I’m looking out the window at a green expanse of trees swaying in the wind. The wind - my gosh, that wind! It sapped my strength and sucked my energy, keeping The Rig on the road while the wind whipped us in any direction at its whim. Birds flew like scraps of paper blown in every direction, and tractor-trailers swerved dangerously, making me hold my breath with each trucker who passed us.

I wish I could say the dogs just love the RV way of life. So far, in truth, Winnie is the only one who has taken it all in with her usual nonchalant aplomb, while Tim searched for the nearest lap and Star looked for a dark corner to hide in. No matter whether it was the compartment my feet, the brakes and the gas pedal were in - Star was sure she could fit there, too. She was absolutely terrified, poor thing. Trembled like a leaf in the wind. She finally curled into the tightest ball she could, right between the front seats. Eventually, Harry went back into the back, and as soon as he did, Tim hopped into the passenger seat (his usual place, in the Dogmobile) and Star seemed to settle - somewhat - next to him. We rode that way for quite a while.

After the day I’ve had, I’m pretty much toast. I’m happy to leave the Great Outdoors to whoever wants it. I’ll take the air conditioning and some stillness.

I could sure use some stillness. Inside and out.

It looks like tomorrow we’ll be headed to Chadron.


May 23, 2010

Still Playing the Game


I woke up this morning sandwiched between the wall of the RV and Star. Harry snored on the other side of Star, and Winnie was standing up in the near darkness. I poked Harry in the shoulder. “Harry, Winnie needs out.” We’d decided that since he wanted to sleep on the outside, he’d be the one who would get up in the wee hours, when Winnie usually need to pee.

I lay there in the early morning darkness. The morning dawned as overcast as my spirit. Sure, I was in The Rig. Vacationing! With my hubby! But it was a far cry from what I’d been expecting. It kind of feels like a stake has been driven through my Gypsy Heart. I feel guilty even whining about it. I mean, after all, lots of people have things to actually be upset about. People with family members suffering from incurable diseases or life-threatening injuries; people who have lost their jobs and have no options. Still, I can't help but think, "At this time I would have been..."


Later that day...

We are now stopped at the Lasso Espresso. This lovely barbed wire buffalo grazes at the Sod House Museum, right next door. Sorry about the messiness of this whole thing, but I can barely see the screen in the dappled sunshine, so I'm just going for it.

We'll be back on the road again in a couple minutes - I'll check in when I'm able!

No comments:

Post a Comment