Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Still in Chadron; A Near Miss



May 24, 2010

In the afternoon, after a short hike, a nap and a novella, I think my soul is finally settling down.

I took the dogs for what turned into a hike earlier. It was just going to be a little walk after breakfast, while Harry took a nap or read, but we ended up walking up a service road that we discovered has been groomed into a hiking trail that led up to the top of a ridge. Winnie trailed along; we had to stop for her several times, but she doesn’t want to left behind, so I figure as long as she wants to come, she’s welcome. Harry asked earlier if I thought Winnie would be up for a hike, and I told him that I can’t imagine a better way for her to go than if her tired old heart gave out while she was hiking with her family.

Tim has been a lot of fun - we’ve discovered that if we give him the ticks we pick off (there have been dozens of them) he loves to dispatch them. They tickle his tongue and he shakes his head and drools on them, and eventually he just eats them. Kind of convenient, actually. That way, I don’t have to keep getting up and throwing them out the door.

Star has been very aloof to me during the trip. It hurt my feelings - pretty badly - until I finally figured out what I think it may be all about. I think Star is one of those dogs who is affected by the emotions and feelings of those around her. She can feel the turmoil I’ve been going through and it’s pretty unsettling for her. She hasn’t noticed anything wrong with Winnie that I can tell, although she did curl up close to her earlier today for a little nap. The more settled I feel, the closer she’s been getting to me. We may be back to normal after all is said and done.

It looks like storms are blowing in. Huge towers of billowing white clouds are gathering, with dark, threatening underbellies. The wind is picking up, as well, but I’m comfortable as can be watching the changing weather from inside The Rig. I can certainly understand the allure of the RV lifestyle!




May 24, 2010

We had just gotten up on the ridge, not very far on our hike, when I heard it. I called to Harry, who was ahead of my a ways. “Harry, does that sound like a tornado siren to you?” He shook his head and indicated he couldn’t hear anything, but we turned and started back, just in case.

As we approached the campground, we saw a Game and Parks truck with three rangers in it headed in our direction. As they pulled up, I said, “Tell me that isn’t a tornado siren I’m hearing.”

The one in the middle grinned, and the man closest to me said, “Yes, ma’am, it is. They tell us it’s about ten minutes away and moving fast.”

I said, “Well, where’s the best place to be, then?”

He nodded up the hill. “Well, we’re thinking the showers up there would be the best place.”

Harry and I headed directly to the bathrooms. When you live in the Midwest, you learn quickly that tornados are nothing to mess with (especially considering the luck I’ve been having with my vacation so far). And what a storm it was! We stood in the relative safety of the door to the brick shower house and watched the lightening, hail and torrential rain. The claps of thunder were never close, though, and it wasn’t long before the major portion of the storm passed. We passed the time taking ticks off of the dogs and each other, and giving them to Tim or throwing them outside. Hey, you do what you can to pass the time.

Now Harry is finishing his book, and the sun is shining brightly. I’m enjoying a cup of tea; Winnie is sleeping right next to me. The wind is strong (it’s blowing around the broken antenna on top of The Rig), and off to the east, the sky is navy blue with storm clouds, moving fast to the north. Maybe we’ll be able to get back upon the ridge later, when the sun is setting. If the remnants of the storm are still there, it could be a beautiful sunset!

Or, maybe Harry will finish his book before sunset and we’ll be able to get out in the beautiful sunshine!

1 comment:

  1. love you very much lisa.

    a novella! was it the little one i gave you?

    x

    ReplyDelete