Monday, May 17, 2010

Five Days Left - and the Farmer Feet Start Kickin’

If you look at the title of my blog and read the explanation for the name, you’ll understand what’s happening today without even reading the rest of this entry.

This morning I woke up with a full-blown case of second thoughts.

It’s the Farmer Feet, you know. And I expected it. Actually, in truth, I expected it long before now. The Farmer Feet rest quietly while the Gypsy Heart yammers on about traveling, seeing the sights, flying free and soaring high. Then, when they think the Gypsy Heart has gone far enough, they dig in.

I have a vivid image in my mind of a dirt road with two deep ruts, made by the heels of my Farmer Feet being dragged along by my Gypsy Heart.

On the walk with the dogs this morning, whispered thoughts fluttered through my traitorous brain.

“You could just bring the RV home and park it in the driveway.”

“You could do a little tour of Nebraska, instead.”

“Wouldn’t it be nice to just stay home and sleep in? Maybe work on a new patio or make something new in the garage instead of going so far away?”


I recognize those whispers for what they are. My Farmer Feet. That part of me that never wants to leave the house, that could be happy planted out in the garden, surrounded by critters, for the rest of my life.

Of course I’m not canceling the trip. The Farmer Feet are just going to have to buck up and deal with it. They’ve had their time in the sun, lounging about in the pool, never going further than that day trip to Ogallala or camping in the Black Hills over a long weekend. They’ve spent hours and hours in the garage, and enjoyed miles of hikes at local reservoirs with the dogs.

It’s the Gypsy Heart’s turn and the Farmer Feet will just have to go along for the ride.

This weekend I put the final touches on packing. I’m using those wonderful “green” grocers’ bags to organize things - one for maps and directions, one for trash and one to collect the things I’m going to be needing in the cab of the RV. The tool box is put together and ready. The camping box is ready. I have a button to sew on some pants and a seam to repair on a pair of shorts, and then I can start packing clothing. I still haven’t gotten my water frozen, so that’s top on my list for tonight (I can sew while watching “Castle,” don’t you know).

I talked to Casey last week, and he confirmed that I could pick the RV up on Friday night instead of Saturday morning. That will make things much easier - I’ll be able to load the RV on Friday night and sleep in on Saturday morning, have a leisurely breakfast with Harry and then take off.

“Right. Like you’re going to sleep at all on Friday night!”

Now I just have to figure out some way to gag a pair of feet.

4 comments:

  1. I sincerely hope you find a way around those "Farmer Feet". I totally sympathize with you. My husband and I traveled for 3 months after we got married and by the time I got to Washington D.C. I couldn't take in another site. He saw the Smithsonian and a bus ride around the capitol while I did laundry at the RV park. After that trip, I wasn't sure I would ever travel again. But when that Gypsy Heart takes over, then we are off again. I am so looking forward to hearing about your travels and to finally meeting you on the 24th! Safe travels and safe trip, and, as the truckers say: Keep it between the ditches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the beauty of the Gypsy Heart- she doesn't need to follow any rules or maps or guidelines. You take off, you see where she wants to take you- if it's your trip agenda, great. If not, great too. Free as a bird, baby. Free as a bird. No pressures, no fears. You'll travel exactly where you NEED to travel right now. There's no arguing with the Gypsy. Not when she wants to soar a little bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So your farmer feet are a little cold, eh? You will have an absolutely fabulous time! Your farmer feet will soon warm up to the idea of following that gypsy heart. I am so looking forward to following your blog as you follow your dream! Good for you, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, all! The feet have been bound and gagged (which makes it a little touch and go when it comes to walking), and it's full steam ahead! I can't wait until I have some photos to share, too!

    ReplyDelete