Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Home Again.

It was tough to leave Chadron. Partially because of the peace I found there, but partially because when we hit the road it meant I would have to start making some decisions.

Just watching Star on the way back made one decision for me. Poor thing, she never did warm up to The Rig. I’d been hoping that after all the time spent in it, she’d grow accustomed it and relax. After all, it really wasn’t any noisier than Harry’s van, and we’ve used that for camping in the past. Unfortunately, the closest Star got to relaxing was hunching over, tail tucked firmly between her legs, and hiding her face in the side of the nearest leg.

So, one decision has been made. The RV is going back. I know, I have it rented for another week plus some, but once I get it cleaned up, I’m just going to return it. If I go anywhere else, I’ll just take the Dogmobile - it sucks less gas. It’s not that I didn’t like The Rig. I found myself looking wistfully back into it after I took our valuables out of it last night. But even though I’m returning it early and not using it for it’s initially intended purpose, I learned valuable lessons from it:
1. Star hates it;
2. I loved the convenience and feeling of safety the RV gave me, as opposed to tent camping; and
3. I think the Airstream Dream is still a viable option, especially if I go camping before Memorial Day and after Labor Day. Star won’t hate being in a truck, and she liked the RV as long as the engine wasn’t running.

Harry and I both looked forward to a comfortable, restful evening once we got home. It started off well. We ordered a Pizza Hut veggie lover’s pizza with Italian sausage, pepperoni and extra cheese, and settled in with a couple of beers to watch a few more episodes of “Firefly.” (I’d had them packed to go on The Big Trip, and we started watching them over again.)

We all went to bed at a decent hour. The dogs were overjoyed to be back in their comfy beds in their familiar surroundings.

At about 2:30, there was a commotion at the side of the bed. It was Winnie, having another stroke, or maybe a seizure. This one was much worse than the previous ones. I picked Winnie up and carried her outside, thinking perhaps the warmth of the bedroom had triggered it, and ended up holding her on my lap on a lounge chair on the patio for close to 45 minutes while she trembled. Several times I attempted to put Winnie on her feet, thinking she might be coming out of it, but she couldn’t stand at all. Harry finally came down, and I asked him to bring her some water, thinking it might help. Nothing helped. Finally, the trembling seemed to ease and I brought her back inside and laid her gently on the couch. Harry slept in his Comfy Chair and I stretched out on the settle, where I could see her. Star curled up next to Winnie on the couch, and Tim snored away in the foyer, seemingly oblivious to the entire episode. Shortly after I drifted off to sleep, there was a crash; Winnie had fallen off the couch. I helped rearrange her and went back to the settle. Things were quiet after that - it was 5:30 a.m.

Amazingly enough, aside from a residual wobble in her gait, and a tendency to nearly fall over when she looks down, she’s doing very well. I’m still unsure of what the night will bring, but at least I’m not worried about leaving her on the couch to sleep. She seems to show no signs of wanting to go upstairs, and I’m happy about that.

I’m also happy I’m not on my way to California with a greyhound on my knee.

No comments:

Post a Comment