Friday, May 28, 2010

On the Road Again - Tomorrow Morning

Well, I’m sorry I don’t have any pictures to share with you today. Even if I took a picture, all it would show you would be the furkids napping. They are so happy to be home. Today I’m attempting to put some order to the chaos that surrounds me. (No, I'm not trying to make sense of the world - just doing laundry and putting things away. I've given up on the other).

It looks like I’m going to leave bright and early tomorrow morning for the Southwest. New Mexico, to be exact. I hope to drive straight through from here to Raton (an eleven-hour drive, with some time added for the Sontosky Wormhole Effect), stay overnight, and then continue on down to Albuquerque to visit my friend Diane for a couple of days. Then I’ll head back to Raton and stay a few more days with Kristy. That's the plan, anyhow. We'll see what happens to this plan.

All my life I have loved the ocean. I’ve always been drawn to it. For some reason, it almost seems as though New Mexico is demanding I pay it some attention. I can’t imagine anything more opposite than Oregon's lush forests and ocean beaches and New Mexico's dry heat and prickly pear. For fifteen years I longed to live in Oregon. Maybe New Mexico intends to work its magic on me - as it has on so many others.

It seems so very odd to be planning on leaving my furkids behind. It’s not like I haven’t gone places without them, but usually I’m making plans that include them. Remember back when I was saying “This trip is for ME” and “I will be able to stop when and where I want to,” etc.? Well, when it gets right down to it, I wouldn’t have been able to. My trip still would have revolved around the furkids - when they needed to stop, when they needed to eat, if they were thirsty, if they were too hot or too cold. Maybe this is what the whole thing was all about - the PTB ("Powers That Be") wanted me to truly take a trip by myself.

Traveling for one is sure a lot simpler, though! All I’ll have to do is throw a few things in a bag, and away I go. No packing dog food, prescriptions, water, leashes, etc. No poop bags. (I fully intend to use restrooms). No provisioning. Just me, a bag and some cash.

This is starting to sound awfully darned good!

3 comments:

  1. Please be careful and enjoy yourself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. When NM wants your attention, by God, it will move mountains (or oceans in this case) to get it. NM will not be denied. Perhaps that's why I love it so. ;) But you'll get lush here. Maybe not rain forest Oregon lush, but it's far more lush than prickly pear-ish here in Raton. You'll see. Albuquerque's a bit more prickly pear-ish... Anyways, I'm just so excited to see you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bon voyage Lisa! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete